If you have a problem with your "Original Black Forest Cuckoo Clock", we can help you with the following movies.
If there are still any questions, please contact us!
The following cuckoo clock text instructions are a good set of generic instructions that will work with most cuckoo clocks.
1) Unpack the cuckoo clock with care! When removing the cuckoo clock from the box please hold it at the roof. Be sure to check and remove, from the box, the other parts such as pendulum, crest and weights. Some boxes will have a false bottom where you will find the weights and/or pendulum stored.
2) Lay the cuckoo clock face down on a flat surface and open the back door by sliding the latch to the side. You can insert a pen or small screwdriver into the notch and pry the door off, if necessary.
3) Once opened, be careful not to bend any of the wires in the clock. Remove the packing paper from the gong wire (coil) on the back door. Remove the retaining clips located on the bellows in the clock.
4) Attach the crest and/or other ornaments to the clock.
5) Hang the clock on a strong nail or molly bolt that is secure in the wall at a slight upward slant. You can hang the clock at any level but you are best to hang it on a fastener that is at least 80" off the floor.
6) Open the small paper bag, containing the cuckoo clock chains, that is located underneath the cuckoo clock. Undo any knots in the chain so they dangle freely.
7) Hang the weights on the hooks, which should be against the base of the clock, in the fully wound position.
8) Open the bird’s door by gently moving the latch to the left so the cuckoo can come out. If the clock has double doors open both latches.
9) Hang the pendulum on the wire loop that will hang thru the elongated hole at the bottom of the clock. Make sure the clock is vertical and flush against the wall so that the pendulum will swing freely. Gently push the pendulum to one side to start the clock. The pendulum will have an even rhythmical beat.
10) To set the correct time, turn the minute hand (long hand) counter clock-wise to the correct hour. DO NOT MOVE THE HOUR HAND (short hand)! You can move the minute hand clock-wise, but you must allow the clock to cuckoo and/or finish playing music every hour and/or half-hour until the correct time is attained.
11) To wind the clock, gently pull down on the loose chain (opposite chain the weight is on). The weight will rise to the bottom of the clock. You can wind the clock at any time but it is best to wind it before it reaches the floor. If the clock has an 8-day movement please, gently lift up on the weight while pulling the opposite end of the chain.
12) The proper timing of the clock can be regulated by moving the pendulum leaf/ornament. If the clock gains time, push the pendulum leaf /ornament down along the stick. If the clock loses time, push the leaf/ornament up along the stick. Make the adjustments in small increments and let the clock run an hour or so and re-adjust if needed. You can remember this process by remembering, "Lower is slower".
13) Many models come with a night shut-off switch that turns the cuckoo and/or music off. The shut-off lever is located on the side of the clock or can be a push-pull rod located underneath the clock.
Night Shut-Off / Sounds Off
There different night shut-off types. Below we describe how they basically work and what they offer to you. You find the type of night shut-off this specific clock has in within the product description on our website.
The advantage of a night shut-off is that you can place your cuckoo clock also in areas your house where you need silence sometimes (e.g. bedroom). Without the night shut off the loud cuckoo sound every 30 minutes could cause a problem for some folks.
There are 3 different types of night shut-offs.
1. Manual night shut-off
Most cuckoo clocks have the manual night shut-off lever which makes it possible to turn all sounds on and off.
2. Automatic night shut-off
Some cuckoo clocks have an automatic night shut-off. The night shut-off lever for manual clocks can be set to three different positions:
· All sounds on
· All sounds off
· All sounds off from 8:00 pm to 8:00 am
The night shut off for Quartz Clocks can be set to one position:
· All sounds off from 9:00 pm to 6:00 am
3. Light Sensor Night shut-off
Clocks with a light sensor automatically turn off all sounds when it is dark in the room. Only Quartz clocks that run with batteries have light sensors.
Differences in Prices / Price determination
Every original German Black Forest cuckoo clock is a product of the most exceptional quality and all are completely handmade in Germany. All mechanical clocks that we carry have the highest standard of quality and are priced much lower than normal retailers. Our lower prices do not, however, mean lower quality. All of our cuckoo clock selections carry the same Original Black Forest cuckoo clock quality and guarantee. There are, however, certain features on some of the cuckoo clocks that will cause the price to be slightly higher than others.
Most of the prices do not vary by manufacturer. Although all Black Forest cuckoo clocks have approximately the same pricing ranges, some will be a bit more expensive depending on the manufacturer's suggestions.
Typically cuckoo clocks that have an 8-Day movement will be a bit more expensive than those that feature a 1-Day movement. Also, if the cuckoo clock features music it may be a bit more expensive as well.
There are other factors that may help to determine the price of the clock. These factors include:
· Size of the clock - normally larger clocks are more expensive than smaller models.
· Number of tones on the musical movement - again more music means a slightly higher price.
· Number of melodies.
· The number and depth of the hand carvings will also determine the price.
· Whether or not the dancing figurines are hand painted and hand carved will sometimes mean a slightly higher price.
· The number and size of the figurines as well as whether or not they move and are hand painted and hand carved will affect pricing range.
· If the clock features a genuine wood carved cuckoo, dial, hands, roof and figurines will determine the price.
· Normally clocks that have either a manual or automatic night shut-off will be slightly higher in price.